1. Bell County - The perennial powerhouse Bobcats start out the season on the top again. This year they will be without Dudley Hilton at the helm as he moved on to UPike. Expect a big season from Senior Running Back Cory Davenport.
2. Harlan County - To say Harlan County has overachieved in their short time as a school would be an understatement. With Highlands out of the picture in 5A the Black Bears could be looking at a run for the State Title if they play like they did last season.
3. Johnson Central - Johnson Central was as strong as anyone in the mountains last year but unfortunately they met the Highlands Blue Birds in the playoffs and met the same fate as Harlan County. The Golden Eagles will be a force to be reckoned with.
4. Hazard - The Bulldogs will be gearing up for yet another 1A Title run. Their worst finish in the last three years was a loss in the semifinals to Lexington Christian. Could this be the year they break through?
5. Belfry - Belfry will be pounding the ball this year with senior running back Trey Willis. They graduated some talented seniors and an exceptionally efficient QB last year in Jeffre Pruitt. Expect coach Haywood to plug the holes in just fine.
6. Knox Central - Knox lost their highly respected coach Wayne Mills last year when he was offered the Bell County job. They return several key players and really look to make some noise in their District.
7. Sheldon Clark - The Cardinals return the majority of their tackles and yards this year. The mountains are stacked this year in Class 3A and Sheldon Clark will be pushing Belfry and Bell County for the top spot.
8. Prestonsburg - The Blackcats return a huge portion of their succesful team from last year and will be lining up on offense with one of the premier athletes in the mountains with Joseph Jamerson.
9. Whitley County - Whitley County has been a steady force in 5A-District 8 over the last few years and it would be wise for other teams to expect their physical play.
10. Breathitt County - Breathitt County has started slow the last couple of seasons but ended up making a run for the regional title every year. The Bobcats ended last year with a heartbreaking three point loss to Somerset. Coach Holcomb will have his boys ready to go this season to try and get back to Bowling Green.